SHEFFIELD 0333 5770215
CRIMINAL 0333 5774213
ROTHERHAM 0333 5774215
KILLAMARSH 0333 5774214
MOBILE FRIENDLY RATES. Calls are FREE from mobiles & landlines with inclusive minutes and geographic rate (01) charged from all others
Change of name legally solicitors sheffield

Q&A on changing your name or changing your childs name.

May 2012

A solicitor answers questions on how to legally go about changing yours or your childs name.

Q. How do I change my name?

A change of name is undertaken by way of a Deed (sometimes referred to as Deed Poll). The new name chosen must be sensible and must not seek to defraud anyone. We would be able to draw up the Deed for you and this would then need to be witnessed.

Q. How long does a change of name take?

We can usually offer a same day service. Please contact our offices and we will be happy to provide you with a quotation and time estimate.

Q. I want to change my name back to my maiden name, is this possible?

Yes this is possible. If you are separated from your spouse/civil partner, you can change your surname although we would suggest that you do not do this part way through and divorce/dissolution proceedings as it may cause complications with the documentation.

If you are divorced or your partnership has been dissolved your surname does not automatically revert back to your maiden name and therefore if you wish to change this you would need to do so by way of Deed.

Q. Do I need my child's father"s/mother's consent before changing their name?

This wholly depends on whether the other party has Parental Responsibility. Mothers always have Parental Responsibility for a child but this may not be the case with regards to the father - please see our section on Parental Responsibility to check this.

If the other parent does have Parental Responsibility you will need their consent.

Q. Will you inform the relevant organisations that I have changed my name?

No this is entirely your responsibility. You will need to keep your change of name Deed with your birth certificate, as many organisations will require sight of both documents.

Click here to go back to In The Media.

Follow this link for more advice on Changing your name.

Enquiry Form

Our lawyers offer legal advice and representation at court or the police station on a private or legal aid basis. Legal aid is available in some areas of law only. Please see our pages on legal aid for more advice. We offer a free initial consultation in some areas of law. Personal Injury compensation claims can be conducted on a 'no win no fee' basis.