SHEFFIELD 0333 5770215
CRIMINAL 0333 5774213
ROTHERHAM 0333 5774215
KILLAMARSH 0333 5774214
MOBILE FRIENDLY RATES. Calls are FREE from mobiles & landlines with inclusive minutes and geographic rate (01) charged from all others
solicitors sheffield Menu

Conveyancing - Home Information Packs (HIP) and Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

This page now relates to Home Information Packs which are no longer in use - the page is left on this website purely form information purposes.

conveyancing quote

The government has suspended the use of Home Information Packs with effect from 21 May 2010. Homes marketed for sale on or after 21 May 2010 will no longer need a Home Information Pack (HIP).

Suspending HIPs will reduce the cost of selling a home, remove a layer of regulation from the process and provide a welcome help to the housing market during the recovery.

The Energy Performance Certificate (a smaller and less expensive element of the HIPs) will be retained. This ranks the energy efficiency of a home with A to G ratings. Sellers will have to produce an EPC within 28 days of putting a home on the market.

* The Information above was taken from the Governments website *

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An Energy performance certificate is a report which gives information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

EPCs contain:

  • Information on your home’s current energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
  • A recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions

An EPC will give your home a rating based on its energy efficiency. These rate your home on a scale from A to G and look similar to the ratings used on domestic home appliances. All homes are measured using the same scale so you can directly compare different properties. An example is shown here.

energy performance certificate

To order an EPC, or for more information on Conveyancing contact us now to speak to a member of our experienced Conveyancing team.

Back to conveyancing index page.

The information below relates to Home Information Packs and describes the situation prior to their suspension on 21st May 2010. This information is now out of date and is displayed here only for information purposes.

What is a HIP?

A HIP is a collection of documents which give potential buyers information on the property being sold. The seller/sellers agent is legally required to provide this information.

The HIP contains important information about the property to the buyer up front, in an attempt to avoid any surprises during the Conveyancing process which could jeopardise the transaction.

What does a HIP contain?

The HIP does not contain marketing information, rather it is a collection of informative legal documents based on a set of compulsory and optional guidelines set out by the government.

Compulsory documents:

  • Home information pack index
  • Energy performance certificate (EPC)
  • Property information questionnaire (PIQ)
  • Sale statementSustainability information (for new homes)
  • Evidence of title
  • Standard searches (local authority and drainage and water)
  • Copy of the lease (for leasehold properties)

Optional documents:

  • Home condition report
  • Legal summary
  • Home use/contents form
  • Other documents such as specialist searches (for example a mining search)

There are a few circumstances where a HIP may not be required, for example if the property is being sold without being openly marketed, for example if you are selling to a family member. Other exclusions do apply, contact us for more information.

Norrie Waite & Slater has secured membership to the Law Society's Conveyancing Quality Scheme - the mark of excellence for the home buying process.

We underwent rigorous assessment by the Law Society in order to secure CQS status, which marks the firm out as meeting high standards in the residential conveyancing process.

Enquiry Form

Our lawyers offer legal advice and representation at court or the police station on a private or legal aid basis. Legal aid is available in some areas of law only. Please see our pages on legal aid for more advice. We offer a free initial consultation in some areas of law. Personal Injury compensation claims can be conducted on a 'no win no fee' basis.