SHEFFIELD 0333 5770215
CRIMINAL 0333 5774213
ROTHERHAM 0333 5774215
KILLAMARSH 0333 5774214
MOBILE FRIENDLY RATES. Calls are FREE from mobiles & landlines with inclusive minutes and geographic rate (01) charged from all others
child accident compensation solicitors sheffield

Child Accident Claims

This article appeared in the Mercury newspaper on 9th March 2011.

Solicitor Chris Middleton of Sheffield Injury Lawyers, Norrie Waite & Slater Solicitors new accident claims service, answers questions on Child accident compensation claims.

If my child has been injured, can they claim compensation?

If your child is involved in an accident and child accident claimssuffers an injury due to someone's negligence, you may be able to claim compensation on their behalf.

Whether your child was at school or nursery, injured in a car accident or injured in a public place, you can make a claim for compensation on their behalf if they are under 18 years of age.

My child had an accident at School, can I claim?

When your child is at nursery or school, they are owed a large duty of care by the people responsible for ensuring their safety. This means giving them adequate supervision, ensuring equipment is safe and being alert to the fact that children are naturally less aware of danger than adults.

If the accident was due to someone else's negligence, you may be able to claim compensation on your child's behalf. Examples of instances when you may be able to claim compensation include:

  • Playground accidents
    claims can be made if play equipment such as climbing frames were faulty or too high, or if the ground surface was inadequately padded. Were the children adequately supervised?
  • Slipping and tripping
    if your child suffered an injury due to a spillage or obstruction and someone can be shown to have been negligent in ensuring their safety, you can make a claim.
  • Nursery accidents
    claims for nursery accidents often revolve around unsafe equipment or unsuitable supervision.
  • School bus accidents
  • Faulty toys or play equipment

The accident happened some years ago. Can I still claim?

It may be able to make a claim for a child accident even if it occurred some time in the past. The rules on child accident claims are different than those for adults. A claim for an injury sustained as a minor can be made up to 3 years after the child's 18th birthday.

A claim for compensation should always be made as soon as possible.

How much does it cost to pursue a claim?

We will pursue your injury claim on a no win - no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any legal fees and you will receive 100% of your compensation, with no deductions.

Choosing the right firm to help you claim compensation is critical. Child accident claims can be complex and should only be handled by a specialist with detailed knowledge of the law in this area.

At Sheffield Injury Lawyers your claim will be handled by an experienced solicitor who will work hard to achieve the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled.

Click here to go back to In The Media.

Follow this link more information on personal injury claims.

Enquiry Form

Our lawyers offer legal advice and representation at court or the police station on a private or legal aid basis. Legal aid is available in some areas of law only. Please see our pages on legal aid for more advice. We offer a free initial consultation in some areas of law. Personal Injury compensation claims can be conducted on a 'no win no fee' basis.