SHEFFIELD 0333 5770215
CRIMINAL 0333 5774213
ROTHERHAM 0333 5774215
KILLAMARSH 0333 5774214
MOBILE FRIENDLY RATES. Calls are FREE from mobiles & landlines with inclusive minutes and geographic rate (01) charged from all others
change name legally solicitors sheffield

Changing your name

Many people want to change their name for a wide variety of reasons. It may be that they want to have the same surname as their child, they may have got divorced and wish to revert back to their previous name, or they may simply not like their given name. Whatever the reason, Norrie Waite and Slater solicitors can help.

contact us

It is actually perfectly legal for people to use whatever name they desire as long as their intention is not to defraud anyone. In some circumstances, however, it is necessary to be able to provide written evidence that someone has changed their name. This often comes up for example when applying for a passport or a driving license, or when dealing with Banks or other financial institutions.

At Norrie Waite and Slater we can arrange for a name to be changed by using a Change of Name Deed (sometimes referred to as a Deed Poll.) This is a formal document which can be prepared by one of our family lawyers. Once the document has been signed and witnessed it can be presented as evidence of a change of name.

A Change of Name Deed can only be used by someone over the age of 18. Changing a child's name can be more complicated as the consent of all parties who have parental responsibility is required. See our webpage for more information on parental responsibility.

Contact us to enquire about changing your name or changing a child's name.

resolution accredited family solicitors
Our team of family solicitors comprises Resolution Accredited Specialists, Collaboratively trained lawyers and members of the Law Society's Children Panel.

Enquiry Form

Our lawyers offer legal advice and representation at court or the police station on a private or legal aid basis. Legal aid is available in some areas of law only. Please see our pages on legal aid for more advice. We offer a free initial consultation in some areas of law. Personal Injury compensation claims can be conducted on a 'no win no fee' basis.